Friday, July 22, 2011

My Little Girl



We were so surprised at Thanksgiving a couple years ago to find out we were expecting again. Then to be expecting a girl - I was in a little denial. I was sure she would come out and end up being a surprise 'he'. But she didn't. She arrived a girl and so tiny that my first thought was that she was too small.

A couple years later, we are celebrating her birthday. Wow. Each day she surprises me. She is fearless. As in, if we go to the pool, she will jump right in. The other day we were there with neighbors and she was standing at the side of the pool. I turned to do my headcount and she jumped onto my head/shoulder. No fear. Now, the other people in the pool who caught the resulting quick 'swimsuit malfunction' were probably afraid, but it was corrected quite quickly.

She is a girl's girl. Most folks made the same statement when we found out she was a girl. "She'll be such a tomboy with all those brothers." She is tough. She can swat Bo to defend her things so fast... But she loves shoes. She loves pink things. And she adores her dolls. Don't get me wrong, I am glad she is tough, but it is fun to have someone so different - no trains, no cars...

Today, we will watch Dora, we will make a cake, she will wear her feather boa play shoes and we will indulge her whims all day... It's a good day.

3 comments: